You are close to making or have made the decision to leave. There are things that need to happen to make this transition successful. This is a scary and possibly dangerous moment in your life. We are here to help.
- Have the Family Haven 24 hour crisis line number available. You can call this and “schedule” your exit. It does not have to happen in a moment of crisis.
- Your abuser may have a “feeling” that something is different. Once you make a decision you gain strength. You are different. You may feel less safe. Create your plan and move it forward quickly.
- Have all of your and your children’s paperwork.
- You may need to notify your employer. If in a planned situation “schedule a few days off’ if available to you. If your exit is unplanned be sure to contact your employer so they understand the situation. The shelter staff can assist you in these calls.
- Know how to disable ALL LOCATION services on ALL DEVICES. Phones, I-pads, tablets, laptops, on-line gaming, know your children’s passwords for these devices so that this can be done quickly upon your exit.
- Don’t tell your children ahead of time. This limits the amount of information they can share. There will be time for that.